Fall in Maine V Alternate + Repost

I realized that I also like this slightly different view of a scene I recently posted: Fall in Maine V

So, I’m curious to hear which version you all prefer, as well as any other comments you may have.

5D2, 24-105 @ 47
Background: f/11, 1/8s, ISO400
Water: f/11, 0.4s, ISO100
TK curves adjustments, dodging & burning

The water makes a nice curve and line to lead you into the picture. My eye tends to stop at the big boulder and stay there. the left side of the picture does not add anything. I might be tempted to crop the flat rock open area completely off. Just my opinion.

1 Like

Really enjoying that water curve. I find the partial branch above the boulder distracting. I would crop it out completely.

It’s an interesting comparison. The previous image was definitely stronger with it’s emphasis on the sweeping curve of the water.

I would agree with Igor that the previous image is the stronger of the two. I find that one has a stronger, more dynamic comp and works better for me. Very interesting exercise to compare the two.

I agree that the prior image has a stronger composition. If you take the image posted here and divide it into 4 quadrents, the lower left quadrant doesn’t have a lot of visual interest, making the negative space a detriment rather than a benefit.

If this were mine, I might consider a squarish crop , retaining just the right half of the image. This would make a stronger story about the boulder and the flowing water, even if you have to lose some of the fall foliage in the ULC. I consider this glacial erratic to be more interesting than the fall color, and I would compose to emphasize it.

1 Like

I’ll just echo that a square crop taking off the left is a good idea. I love the color of the trees on the left, but this comp leaves me wondering what is to the left of them.

Thanks @Richard_Teller, @svetlana, @Igor_Doncov, @Harley_Goldman, @Ed_McGuirk and @John_Williams!

I played around with a square crop and came up with 2 different options.

Crop1:

Crop 2:

Craig, I prefer the first of the 2 square reworks. I think the extra breathing room helps.

I was going to reply “ditto,” but that didn’t meet the minimum requirement of characters. So instead, "What he said. " :upside_down_face:

The first one works for me