Finding Beauty in the Desert

I was photographing the deteriorating buildings taken over by sand in the deserted town of Kolmanskop, Namibia, and although the walls are grungy, the view out of the windows was beautiful. I took this as three photos and combined them in an HDR to showcase the grunge.

Specific Feedback Requested

I revised the photo based on my own thoughts below - adding light to the sand dune, darken the thorns, clone out a white blob and I cropped it because it seemed uneven.

Original question: Do I need to put more light on the sand or darken the thorns in the bottom left corner of the window? This looks good on my monitor, but I’m not sure how it looks on other monitors.

Technical Details

HDR combination of three photos, Fujifilm XT2, 18-135 at 26mm, ISO 200

1 Like

Roberta, what a contrast between the grungy interior and the wonderful “picture window” view of the pristine desert scene outside. I really like the approach you’ve taken here and the fine results overall… :+1:

1 Like

@Paul_Breitkreuz thank you for your kind words Paul!

1 Like

Nice work, Roberta. Well seen. I can see the tell-tale effects of HDR, but in this particular case, I think it works nicely. I prefer the cropped version. Nice!

@David_Bostock Many thanks David. I don’t usually do HDR, but this scene really needed it as the inside was very dark and outside the window was very bright. I could tone it down, but since it’s only for fun and sharing on social media, and not for competitions, I’m going to leave it. And I’m glad you like the crop version better - so do I!

1 Like