First Damsel of 2019

I rescued this “damsel in distress” on Tuesday, when our gusty winds probably blew it off its lily pad perch and into my pond before its wings could dry and it could fly. I expected it to be dead when I put my finger under it and lifted it out of the water, but it immediately started walking up my finger. I transferred it to this pond iris leaf and grabbed a few shots before it fully dried its wings and flew off. Mid-April seems early (to me) for a fresh damselfly, but in the following two days, I’ve seen quite a few damselflies and dragonflies near the ponds at a local wildlife sanctuary, so it’s clearly time. I think this is a Powdered Dancer (Argia moesta) showing teneral colors.

5D3, 180mm macro L, 1/200 s, f/14, iso 400, tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Great shot, with nice details, Mark. That soft green background is a nice plus. You sound like me rescuing the little critters. I just saved a jumping spider this morning from out of the house and put it in the garden before my husband got other plans. A lot of people don’t realize that they aren’t harmful, but actually useful.

Tough to get one of these in full focus. Except for the legs, you mostly achieved it! I like the soft BG and the vertical choice.

Mark: wonderful detail in the damsel. Its presents in a near 3D fashion against the oof background. Richard

Excellent color in detail. The background, similar in color to the in focus Iris leaf creates a very pleasing mood.