First Snow on Annual Sunflower

What technical feedback would you like if any? Comp OK? Aand I hope that this image looks as cold as it was yesterday morning.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 200mm f4 (1/100 sec at f16, Iso 640) 7 image stack with PMax (Zerene Stacker), Levels, Rubber Stamp tool for dust bunnies, Luminosity Masks for Midtones and Deep shadows with Curve adjustment. I edited the image in Zerene to remove artifacts and chose the image with the best BG. Finally, Brightness & Contrast and cropped about 1/6 from the bottom.

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Brrrrr, Jim, this makes me feel even colder! It is in the low 20’s here in NC this morning, so the perfect image to view while drinking my coffee. I love this image. This shows the early snow and cold temps by the snow piled onto a sunflower. It is like the seasons are colliding. The composition looks good to me. Everything about the image actually. Great shot of the first snowfall.

1 Like

Jim, great image. I like everything about it.

1 Like

Jim: Marvelous find and a superb capture. I especially like the detail in the snow and the almost monochromatic presentation. Well seen and rendered. >=))>

1 Like

Poor flower. I feel its pain. What an early start to winter this year, but it gave you a great subject to shoot. Amazing details in the snow and the scene actually made me shiver. Great shot!

A beautiful detail of winter and I like it a lot. Personally I would have provided a bit more negative space on the right and then in the same proportion a tiny bit at the top and the bottom.
Grt, Ingrid.

1 Like