First Time to Abraham Lake

A bucket list trip to the Canadian Rockies that has been three years in the making, finally came to fruition last month.

This is my first processed image, which is from Abraham Lake. Now I know that I really need to let this sit overnight before considering more amends (and I’m sure I’ll have an “OMG, what have I done to that image” moment when I look upon it with fresh eyes) but I would very much welcome thoughts and feeback.

I’ve realised that in my quest to continuous improve my photos; and give them space before I post… I’ve actually been sharing virtually none of my work. So 2020, is my push to actually start sharing stuff rather than just hide them away in case I want to do more work to them.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any and ALl

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and All

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

This is a focus stacked image as I was very close to the ice. Also, I processed the blended image twice; once for the whole image, and then as a separate layer for the sky to bring out more detail. I then blended the two back together.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.! @vikki_macleod

I also tried a 7x5 Crop - would appreciate thoughts on preferences.

4 Likes

This looks really good, Bonnie. Great pattern in the ice, leading off to the mountain and a good sky. The two posts are really close, but I prefer the first.

1 Like

Amazing image. I have to agree with Harley that the first is a bit more interesting.

1 Like

Excellent image. I, too, prefer the first. I think the slight crop from the bottom takes something away from the image, but I can’t quite explain it other than I prefer the lower right and middle.

1 Like

I like this a lot Vikki especially your original, uncropped post. Wonderful leading lines.

1 Like

I agree with the others, I like the first image better. I think because of the leading lines the ice makes are stronger. Wonderful capture Vikki.

1 Like

The ice on the lake looks so unusual and REALLY draws my eye in and to the background. The overall cool tone suits the image very well! I too, prefer the first image. Very well done!!!

1 Like

Mark me down for the original too; I agree with the comments above.

Definitely do keep sharing your images; this is grand. I love those lines leading to the mountain, and the mountain is a great backdrop.

I think this could make a nice BW too.

1 Like

Thanks. I agree about the mono too. I often see in black and white and this is probably what drew me to it. I decided to edit the colour version first as the turquoise ice was just so beautiful.

Hu @vikki, great shot. Foreground is impressive and the light is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Vikki
This is awesome. The ice lead in line and then the shapes of the clouds over the mountain! Very well done. I do agree with other posters that I like the first one better.

1 Like

Absolutely terrific image!

IF you do have one of those ‘OMG…’ moments, one thing I might experiment with would be to try to pull the somewhat purple leaning blue color in the upper portion a little closer to the more green leaning blues in the lower portion. I don’t think it ‘needs’ that…just might be interesting to see the impact of doing so.

This is an amazing image. @Igor_Doncov expresses my thoughts perfectly. I love the way the ice creates visual flow into the mountain and the lines in the sky that anchor the mountain so well. What causes the three lines in the ice on the right that radiate to the right? Is this from focus stacking? Great image.