Fog-Bound Tetlin Passage

In the second week of September I was returning to the lower 48 after spending three months photographing in Mainland Alaska. You can’t miss the Tetlin National Wildlife Refuge (TNWR) as its boundary is adjacent to the south side of the Alaska Highway for almost 65 miles. It was an early morning, with fog filling the valley and the sun just catching the cloudy tops of the Wrangell-Saint Elias Mountains. I knew the warming ground and air would soon cause the fog to lift and evaporate. Fortunately the TNWR Visitor Center has a large observation deck. It was from that platform that I made a series of images as the fog rose and fell in the valley. I wanted the tree-lined portion of shoreline projecting into the fog to be substantive—to provide a sense of scale as well as tonal and textural contrasts with the fog.

Technical Details

EF 200-400mm @ 280mm; f/10 @ 1/250 sec, ISO 100

5 Likes

Sensational, Bob. And a great story too. Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful image, Bob. Must be great to spend 3 months in Alaska, photographing without any time pressure.
It is almost 40 years ago that I drove the Alaska Highway, but the memory is still vivid.

Thank you David and Han. I am in a stage where pressure is only self-inflicted to make the best image I can under the circumstances or wait better circumstances to develop.

This misty vastness is comforting to the soul. Wonderful shot. Thanks for posting.

Thank you, Charles. After visiting Alaska, Africa and the Great Plains I have a developed a completely different appreciation for their unusual largeness in size and the illusory emptiness.

An amazing image, Bob! How wonderful to stay 3 months in Alaska photographing. I have recently retired, so I have to start planning for that type of travel:)

Thank you, Ola.
If you are serious about visiting alaska, let me recommend driving up, rather than flying. I would also recommend getting a copy of “The Milepost” by Kris Valencia. I believe it is the quintessential reference of travelers heading North.

Beautiful photo. For me, it’s the trees interrupting the low cloud foreground that makes the photo.

Thank you, David. I also felt the foreground trees were critical to the image.

Really compelling scene! I really like this, especially that island of trees in the sea of fog.

Thank you, Jeff. Without the trees projecting in from the right, the scene was banal.