Food Chain

While photographing in Wapusk NP, Curchill, Manitoba, I spotted a polar bear (Ursus maritimus) stalking a Red Fox (Vulpes vulpes) which was, in turn stalking an Arctic Hare (Lepus arcticus). Neither predator had much, if any, chance of capturing their prey.

Canon EOS 10D; Canon EF 70-200mm + 2x @ 240mm; f/11 @ 1/160 sec, -1 EV, ISO 100; Evaluative metering; Auto WB; three-image panoramic stitch—one image focused on each animal

4 Likes

Food chain is certainly a great title for this image, Bob. What an amazing thing not only to witness, but to photograph as well. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Shirley. It was an unexpected encounter. My guide was the Bishop of a church in Churchill and he noted he had never seen all three species at the same time in the decades he had been guiding in the area. I had no reason to question his veracity!

Wow, that makes it an even more special moment. I am so glad that you were able to record it!

Talk about being at the right place at the right time! Wonderful image!

Indeed. I prefer to see this as Divine Providence as I have experienced many such “encounters” always wondering why I am going where I am, then, ultimately I “get it.”

Hi Bob !

Very interesting food chain, where each one has a different focus point. Also like the arrangement within the frame.

Thank you, Jagdeep. The combination of three animals at different distances from the lens (long telepohoto, shallow depth of field, different focal planes) and their spread across the scene, I chose to make three images, one each for the three animals, and stitch them together. The long lens tends to flatten the scene making them all appear to be at the same distance from the lens.