Forest tent caterpillar

Description:

I found this one in the garden loosetrife by the dock. Although they can be found in masses up to 100 individuals when roosting overnight, these guys often forage on their own. They will eat almost anything. They don’t actually spin tents though so the name is somewhat misleading. This one was about 1 1/2 inches long and I caught it straining to find that next leaf and liked how it curved away from its perch. Silly things, amazing they survive at all. They seem so bumbling. But they’re one of the more attractive caterpillars around so here it is.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Anything helpful is welcomed. This is my standard jpg export from Lr - does it have an embedded profile? Seems I have lost that along the way somehow.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? - no

Handheld with elbows braced -

Processed in Lr for the crop and some adjustments to the white and black points, texture & clarity. Then Topaz DeNoise & Sharpen. Nothing too drastic.

Kris, this is very nice. I like the way you caught him searching for the next leaf. He is marked nicely. I don’t think I have ever seen one. Nice details in him.

Cool catch! Lovely detail and a lovely setting. Looks like a salad-lover’s dream. And you’re right, he does look a bit perplexed what to do now. Can they shift into reverse?

It does have sRGB embedded. You can download and open it yourself to check, but if your working space is sRGB or you don’t have the profile mismatch boxes checked in Edit > Color Settings, you won’t get a profile mismatch warning.) If you download an image with any need to inspect the histogram, be sure you convert to your working space if that isn’t sRGB, so the histogram is accurate.

Thanks ladies. I’m glad I could freeze it as well as I did since it was squirming around quite a bit.

My working space in Adobe is ProColor or what ever it’s called. Not sure why I put it there, but I did. Export dialog for jpg is sRGB and I do often get the profile mismatch warning and then use whatever is embedded in the file.

Nice look at this guy. Detail is excellent and I love his color. Nice catch.

Working in ProPhoto RGB has some gotchas. It does preserve all the colors the camera can capture, but you can edit to a range of colors no monitor or printer can reproduce, and that are outside the range of human vision, so out of gamut issues need a constant watch. I used it for years and recently switched back to AdobeRGB. If I ever needed the extra gamut that might be used by a few professional printers I can go back to the raw file and rework it in that color space.

What software are you using for the export to JPEG? If from PS, I use File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy). There is a little checkbox to embed the profile – after you have told it to convert to sRGB. The Quick Export as JPEG gives no options and doesn’t tag the profile. Exporting from LR will tag whatever profile you have told it to convert to.