From Our Garden

Jenny has built an impressive collection of dahlias and she gave me some of her extras to plant in the vegetable garden. Dahlias seem to prefer the garden over the prepared dahlia bed. This is Kogane Fubuki which is a yellow and pink variety. The pink color intensifies as the flower ages. I photographed this right after opening so the pink is just starting to be expressed with a nice contrast to the yellow in the center of the flower.

From Our Garden

Specific Feedback Requested

How’s the comp. I pulled the camera as far away from the flower to position the flower to get the transition in colors. I’d like a little more space up at the top. What do you think?

Jim: Lovely pastel color palette and marvelous detail in the center. It looks like the trade off for more room up top would be a slightly wider view that would bring the edge of the flower into the frame. All things considered I think I prefer this frame filling crop. The only comp alternative that would interest me would be if you could place the bloom center on the left side of the frame so that the flower was “looking” into the frame and not out but there again if that kept you from filling the frame I would leave things just as they are. Top notch shot and I hope you’ll revisit this bloom as it progresses. >=))>

1 Like

What a nice frame filling image of this beautiful Dahlia, Jim. I love the nice pastel colors. I like the composition just fine. Great shot.

1 Like

Lovely flower and a great capture! Agree with a little more room on the top and right, but I don’t know it that would have been possible during capture. The flower looks sharp throughout and the texture shows up very well and the subtle hint of pink, all makes it a beautiful image.

Nice closeup of the dahlia which shows the complexity of the structure and flow of the petals. The colors to me are a little flat. You might want to experiment to see if you can gain more impact by increasing the vibrance to the flower.

1 Like

Jim: I like your composition as it shows the beauty and complexity of the flower. I think more at the top would be a nice improvement. Well done. Richard

1 Like