Frozen Lillypads

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I shot this quickly and didn’t do a focus stack, but I wonder if the slight sharpness falloff bothers anyone. The exposure ends up dark as well with the ice approaching black, but to my seems like it should be correct.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I saw this when driving Yellowstone and it stopped me in my tracks! I wonder if the subject and composition can hold other’s attention like it does mine with the textures and color.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Single exposure on a tripod! X-T2 w/ 50-200mm

1 Like

I think this is lovely, Kyle. The green and the magenta come together super nicely. I do wish that there is a tad more breathing room on the left and on the right if the frame as the two outermost lily pads are a little too close to the edge for my comfort. I am mesmerized by the patterns on the ice and the subtle shadow there. I think you have processed it really well. The slight focus fall off is not an issue for me, especially at this size.

1 Like

Kyle this is a very interesting image. Like @Adhika_Lie I just love the patterns and textures in the ice. Early season dark ice can create some wonderful designs. The colors work really well together here too. Not every image needs to be focus stacked, IMO the DOF in this image works fine as presented.

I also agree with Adhika about wanting more breathing room on the left and right. I did a rework where I added 3% canvas on each side and used PS Content Aware Fill, just illustrate the difference. CAF did a great job I think.

1 Like

I like this edit! It definitely helps with opening the composition and getting rid of that tension on the edges. Thank you for sharing that here!