Georgian Bay

The Georgian Bay is iconic for its windswept pines but I like the messiness, almost explosive, quality of this clump of trees set against a sweeping sky and cross lit sun.

Specific Feedback Requested

I can’t quite get the punch I am looking for in the trees. Is my contrast too low? I lightened the shadows a shade. I may have framed a little too tightly. All feedback welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Fuji (aps-c) 18-55mm at 21mm ISO 800 f8.0 shutter 1/125 handheld

@cvotos

Hi Charles, welcome back! Nice to see you here again. I like your comp and no, it doesn’t feel too tight for me. I would consider darkening the sky quite a bit as it feel blown out a bit, even if it’s not technically blown out.

I would also consider brightening the trees and rocks, and adding some micro contrast (Clarity) to them. I think this has some great potential with just a few tweaks…
Cheers,
David

This is what I had in mind. Hope you don’t mind. We all have our own visions…

Cheers,
David

Thanks so much David. I like what you did - it looks a lot better. I now just need to improve my photoshop skills. I use Lightroom but don’t know how to do masks etc. But now I have a good project to learn with.Thanks again for taking the time to comment and modify the picture.

I agree with David here, I think the let side of the sky in particular could be toned down. You could also reduce the contrast in the trees in the back while increasing contrast in the foreground to help separate the two portions of the image. Just a thought, pretty cool though, It reminds me of a Navy battleship for some reason!

1 Like

Thanks David! I did think it looked like a ship too.

Here is my take 2 - kept the rocks a bit darker to try to highlight sunset - thanks again David and David