Getting Ready for the Glam Shot

Description:

While at Magee Marsh, an adult bald eagle was perched near one of the trails and began to preen. Bald eagles are rather imposing creatures with their bold yellow eyes and hooked bills, but this one provided a different look. I left the top branch in the composition, but it can be cropped lower if viewers find it to be a distraction… I left it as is because it frames in the eagle against the pale sky.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D850 200-400mm f4 at 400mm (1/640 sec at f8.0, ISO 640) Topaz DeNoise, Levels, Shadows & Highlights, Brightness & Contrast, crop for comp.

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

I like it. The light palette works to soften the feel and that’s certainly different as you point out. The smaller branches frame it well and I’d probably have left the upper one in too. That old tree is probably a favorite perch. I’ve noticed eagles have those in their territories and can be relied on to sit in them regularly. Lovely detail almost completely through the bird’s feathers and the light edges are highlighted, too. Super.

1 Like

Hi Jim
This is a good example of balancing light and color tone, not a bad looking Eagle either. The detail is sharp and the preening action, set this photograph apart for the stander bird on a stump. I love to watch Eagle.
Peter

1 Like

Jim, this works on every level. I like the pose, the position, and the tree limbs help to balance the composition. Well done.

1 Like

I like the preening pose, Jim. The branch above works for my taste. Interesting that the tail and cheek are brownish. Is there water in the area that might stain them?

1 Like

Very nice Jim - nice pose and the details are great. Composition works for me as is. A fine image.

1 Like

The top branch works fine as a framing element and as a balancing element to the old snag. It also breaks up the pale background. Wonderful sharpness in the eagle throughout

1 Like

Nicely done, I particularly like the high-key-like style and, of course, the preening pose of the bird. The branch works for me, wouldn’t touch it. Best, Hans

1 Like