Glacial Erratic?

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 7D, 10-22 @ 10, 1/400 @ f11, ISO 250

I’m no geologist but could not help wondering whether this isolated rock might be the result of glacial action ( though not clearly of a different composition to the local rocks ). However it got to this spot where a stretch of moorland rises out of the woods it seems to fit the landscape quite nicely. Taken at Lyme Park estate in Cheshire.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like the arc of the land. It has a bold sweeping feel to it. It’s actually a layered composition: sky, clouds, trees, and grass. The visual tension between tree and rock is interesting. Nice. The only nit is that part of the tree looks a bit faded. But it’s not noticeable unless you blow up the image.

Not sure what you want us to look at here, Ian? The rock near the right edge? Or the tree near the left edge? Neither stands out too much and the middle feels empty.

1 Like

Ian, we have glacial erratic rocks all over the place in New England, and this certainly has the right look, especially if it’s a different composition of rock. Not sure of your sense of scale here, but we have some that are the size of houses. Do an internet search for images of “Bubble Rock Acadia National Park” if you want to see what I mean.

For an image that some folks might say has two subjects, I find myself actually liking how my eye ping pongs back and forth between the tree and the rock. I do think @Eric_Bennett has a point about the middle feeling a little empty. Too bad the clouds weren’t billowing up higher in the center, but you take what you get. As a stand alone image, this one is not as strong as some of the other shots in your Cheshire series. But if you look at all of these Cheshire images as a collection, this one adds some nice variety to that group because it is about more than just trees, hills etc.

Thanks so much, Ed, for the comments and the reference. Those Bubble Rock stones are amazing ! The Lyme example is quite small by comparison.