Glacier Park Autumn Snow

Early snow and nice colors inspired this image at Glacier Park a few weeks ago. The gray skies, and snow really allowed the splash of colors in the under growth to add interest to the scene.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does this composition work for you?

Any pertinent technical details:

single exposure, iso 100, F11, 80mm, 1/3 sec, processed in Lightroom.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Love this Alan! What a great find and capture. You said it, the splash of color of the undergrowth really makes the image - I wish there was more! But there’s most certainly enough color to make this image stand out. And the rock wall above is nearly just as fascinating.

My only wish would be for more on the sides. Feels slightly truncated - I’m guessing from needing to crop some unwanted elements. Very minor though.

Lon

Thanks so much Lon, I can go wider as this was cropped. Nothing offensive was cropped, just more conifers but no colored under growth. I could add a little to each side and let colors have some space. I will give it a try.

This is really nice, Alan. I would agree with Lon about adding some room on the sides. It would be interesting to see the difference if you “add it back” per your comment.

I added to both sides just a bit. I think I agree with you and Lon, it helps to leave a little room on the sides. What do you think? Thanks for your input I really do appreciate it.

I like the repost much better. I might crop off the right to eliminate the tall tree on the right edge, but minor stuff. Nice image!

Alan, this is really beautiful, very nice work. Whenever you can capture the transition from autumn to winter, it’s usually very dramatic. I’m really enjoying the textures and patterns here. The small splash of color gives your eye a place to rest, and helps add a center of interest beyond just the pattern. I agree with Lon about wanting to see more, the wider crop just feels like it has more room to breathe, and is a stronger image IMO. I don’t know if you post on Instagram or not, but if the original square crop was Instagram influenced, then this image is a great example of why your crop should be influenced by what’s best for the image. In fact, I would like to see it even wider than the re-post, I think this would work great as panoramic crop. Of course in the real world that may not have work if distracting elements are lurking just outside the frame. Print this large and hang it !!!

Thanks for the help Harley!

Ed, glad to see you are back. Thanks for the comments and I do plan to print this one!