Golden-crowned Sparrow

Golden-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia atricapilla), Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge, Ridgefield, Washington, U

Please let me know if I have identified this little one incorrectly. I was at Ridgefield this morning, a very quiet morning…anyway, this little one happened to land on the blackberry branches just outside my car. He/She held still long enough for me to catch a couple of shots. Love the mud on the beak.

This is a 25% crop. I think I’ll have to park by these blackberry bushes more often to get some shots of smaller birds.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated. ID appreciated if I am wrong…

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Fujifilm GFX 100, GF 250mm f/4 + 1.4 Teleconverter, 1/80 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 3200, beanbag on car window.

1 Like

Yes, this is a gold crown sparrow. Good job on the details, colors and environmental aspect. They are quite common in Ridgefield.

1 Like

David, thanks for confirming the id. Much appreciated

[quote=“David_Bostock, post:1, topic:25914”]

[/quote

Very cute, David! The first thing I noticed was the ‘mud’ on his beak! My first thought was it was leftover berries from the bush. But maybe not. The birds seem to like those old berries still hanging on. Really nice details in the feathers and I like the composition.

Very nice! Looks like he/she has been dining sumptuously on SOMETHING!

Small nit – you might consider softening the dark branch exiting on the right. Low opacity cloning might do it nicely. Select subject and invert to protect the bird.