Golden Serenity

I just joined this group after hearing about it. I am hoping to get constructive feedback on some of the pictures that I will be sharing on this site. This is my first one and I have some spent some time editing without being in a rush and I like the way it turned out but would love to get the feedback of other minded photographers.
Thank you for looking

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any feedback are welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any ideas about the processing?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
4 Likes

Welcome to NPN, @francis! Great to have you here and I hope you find this forum as helpful and supportive as many of us do.

Great first post! What a beautiful scene. I like your composition and processing, particularly the light. Very subtle.

My only comment is related to the tilt of everything in the image appearing to tilt to the right. Do you see it? Perhaps it is just how it was.

Welcome, @francis. Off to a good start here. I like the way this image is composed. You are kind of breaking some standard conventions by having so much ‘empty’ space in the top half of the photo, leaving it very bottom heavy. Yet, I think it works really well here. Your exposure and processing look very good, too. The only suggestion I have is maybe cropping in from the right side a bit. I would like to see the fall centered a bit more in the frame. You could come in from the right side just until you hit the first bit of orange leaves and that should do the trick. Nice work!

1 Like

Francis, welcome to NPN! I hope you find the site to be everything you hoped it to be. What a great first post. If it was mine, I would be looking for some wall space and ordering a large print. I love the lighting and it looks like a perfect shutter speed on the water. Looking forward to seeing more of your work, and reading your comments and critiques.

1 Like

Welcome to NPN Francis, what a great first post !!!

I think you have absolutely nailed the processing here. The colors are vibrant but not over-saturated. I like the way the deep shadows in the cliffs accentuate the glowing moss and ferns at the top of them. The luminosity of the moss is just perfect . Usually the waterfall itself would be the star of the show, but for me it’s the glowing moss that elevates this image above your typical autumn waterfall shot.

I agree with @Dustin_Waits, the composition is a bit unconventional with the extra space at the top, but I too think it works this way. I did a rolling screen crop on this to crop the top away just above the yellow trees, and it’s interesting how the fall colors carry more visual weight when the image is cropped like that. I think a cropped version would work too. I think if you want to emphasize the falls and the moss you leave it as is, if you want more emphasis on the autumn trees, go for a crop. I think you have the luxury of it working both ways.

I look forward to seeing more of your here images here, welcome to NPN.

Great first post. I really like the processing of the image. I am going to take the opposite view from the others and say I would suggest a small crop from top. Different strokes I guess.

I really like this photo. It kept my attention and I explored it for quite awhile. Composition is great. I looked over the suggestions from others, but honestly, I would leave it as is.

Hi @francis , great autumnal shot.
I love vertical composition and post processing, in particular the glow on the lights.
Thanks for sharing.

I don’t have much to offer here that hasn’t already been said - I agree with @Dustin_Waits about cropping in a bit on the right side - but I wanted to chime in to commend you on this image. I love the composition and warm colors. Beautiful work!

I love the luminosity of the brighter areas and the execution of light in the waterfall area that has virtually a ciaroscuro effect. Beautiful work - an elegant image.

Welcome. Francis from me as well. I would not crop from the top, as it could mess up the triangular balance in the gold trees. The waterfalls appear to be conversing with one another. My only suggestion is that you move your watermark from the center to lower left or right corner. This is minor and just my personal view. Where the signature is now is a critical place in front of where the falls converge.

Hey Matt, Thank you for your comments. The tilt is good and I tried it in Lightroom and I can adjust it a tad. Good eye.

@Dustin_Waits, Thank you for your comments. I did not think about the standard convention but I did try to crop it in 4X5 and it looks good actually. Thank you for the suggestion.

1 Like

Just realized that it is better to send one reply instead of multiply replies. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I worked on the crop and I kinda like it…I am sure, I will need to crop when I am ready to print it. Thank you all for your comments.