Grace Under Pressure

Have been much more comfortable this winter with B&W conversions…have felt a need to reach for expression in a way that color (as much as I LOVE color) just can’t seem to achieve for me.

Specific Feedback Requested

Imperfect in focus, but is it a deal-breaker for the statement?

Have tried to forego a truly black background…is it still too bistable/contrasty? I am not looking for a “severe” statement here, but one with more subtlety and I’m not sure I’m there yet.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikkor 105 Macro, 1/100 @f/8, ISO 100

@jim_mcgovern_photography
1 Like

Jim, this works for me, and I do like it in B&W. I’m guilty of not trying B&W nearly enough, and having started out in B&W, you would think I would gravitate to it too much. I think you have enough in focus to grab the viewer’s attention. Nice texture and lines. Very nice.

This is a lovely photo, Jim. I personally like the amount of B/W conversion you’ve applied here because the softness compliments the type of image (flower). There is still plenty of detail in the small buds to draw my attention and the slightly OOF reflection (?) is nicely done.

I quite like this, Jim. The shallow DOF works. I would be inclined to crop off the bottom OOF branch and just leave the one now in the middle. The comp otherwise feels a little stretched to me, if that makes sense. Love the B&W presentation.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman , @linda_mellor , and @Harley_Goldman for your comments/time. I’m glad to know that enough is in focus to justify the image. The OOF stem needs further blurring or as Harley said, removal altogether. Thanks Harley for the comments on cropping…I can do more there as well. Thanks again everyone!

1 Like