Grail Shots

As someone that can’t get out to shoot as often as I’d like, I tend to dream of the “perfect” shot, or a Grail Shot. These are images that I get stuck in my head and think “You know what, one day I’m going to get that shot and then I’ll be happy.” Naturally, that’s not true, but I do think they would really bolster a portfolio well.

So my discussion I want to have is two-fold.

1. Is it a disservice to a photographer to have these ideas for shots in mind in a field that usually is beyond our immediate control?

2. What are some of y’all’s Grail Shots, if you have any?

I currently have three: Grizzlies fishing for salmon, a snow-covered bison in the fog from a hot springs, and a majestic shot of an ibex in the alps.

I don’t think it is a disservice at all. There are many more things that we have under our control than I thought when I was first starting out. It’s essential, I think, that we have things in mind so that we can plan and therefore control more of the variables. It’s especially important when your shooting time is limited.

I don’t think I have such specific ideas of a scene until I plan a trip and then I might get specific - like the bison shot you mention once I planned to go to Yellowstone. In general, I have species that I’ve yet to shoot on my list. Specifics on that species may happen after I’ve learned more about them by spending time with them.

1 Like

It’s true we have a lot of control about how our scenes are set up, but it’s nature at the end of the day. If the bison won’t go where you want it, you can’t really make it. That being said, a photographer can do research in the species, and put themselves in the right place at the right time.

Thanks for the response @Terri_Barnett!