Great Egrets

I rarely photograph multiple egrets, spending most of my time trying to catch them fishing. But these were hanging out together in such beautiful light that I was drawn to trying to get a group shot.

I appreciate any feedback but I’d mostly like to hear what you think of the exposure, color and saturation level.

Processed in LR, then Color Efex. Cropped some on the right and top. I did bring the exposure up in post about .4 and then brought the birds back down because I wanted to brighten up the environment a touch.

1/1600, f/11, ISO 800 @ 273mm. I almost didn’t share this info. Occasionally I end up with settings that don’t make sense and that I can’t possibly explain. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Terri_Barnett. I moved this image from Wildlife to Avian as that seemed more appropriate .

I like the image very much. You questions about exposure, color and saturation. I think all three are presented nicely. Whites in the Egrets look great, none of the colors seem over the top. Nice capture.

Thanks for catching the misplaced image @Keith_Bauer and moving it. Compliments also appreciated. :slight_smile:

A wonderful image of these Egrets in their environment. I love the strip of land right behind them, with some kind of yellow flowers. The lighting is sweet. I agree with Keith that your exposure, color and saturation are good. I feel like I am right there, enjoying the scene. Very well done.

1 Like

Sweet light and nicely composed. A nice environment shot.

1 Like

I like this a lot, Terri. A beautiful scene I’m glad you left it as an environmental image. If I were going to try anything to modify it, it would be to look at dodging the vegetation on the far bank just a bit-it seems a bit darker than the foreground and there’s no reason for that (nothing to cast a shadow). The egrets and foreground look perfect to me.

1 Like

Terri, You have a most effective image here in great light. While, I like it as is, I tinkered a bit to remove that object in the water.

Great capture and presentation.

1 Like

Hi Tarri
You have a very nice flood plan photograph. The early morning sun, color and detail are great. I hope you do not mind, I re-croped the shot and like Larry I removed the fence. When I double click on the photo to get !the largest presentation, I though it look really nice closer up.
Peter

1 Like

Thanks for the comments. That’s an interesting observation. I’m trying to recall what might have made that bank darker. With the exception of the birds, my changes to exposure were done globally so it’s as the camera captured it. But I see what you mean.

Thanks Larry for your comments and edit. Although it didn’t bother me to be in there, the photo does look cleaner and it removes the human element.

Hi Peter, thanks for taking the time to present an edit. I did play with a closer crop but ultimately decided that I liked the depth that the multiple layers provided.

1 Like

Very pleasing light with wonderful color, detail, and behavior. Other than removing the man-made object, I cannot think of anything I would do with this image. I like it a lot.

1 Like