Green Heron

Given the size, probably a juvenile.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600 mm. 1/1000 at f8; ISO 400;-2/3 EV Processed in PS and LR.

2 Likes

Pretty bird. Nicely captured. I don’t often see green herons out in the open like this, around here.

1 Like

Nice shot. I like the look back pose. The clump of grass adds a nice environmental aspect. The bit of grass extending above the heron’s head is a bit distracting and an easy fix if you do that sort of thing.

1 Like

Looks like you caught it by surprise :wink: … Nice bird, nice shot. I would prefer a bit more space on the bottom and left, but other than that a fine image. Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Very nice Allen, looks like a juvi for sure with that plumage and hairdo. I would prefer a bit more room on the bottom.

1 Like

Thanks for the comment, David. I’m not exactly sure, but I was thinking the stuff above the head was part of the heron. Maybe juvenile hair.

Nice catch! Yes, I think what is above the heron’s head is juvenile plumage. Must’ve forgotten to comb it this morning. Additionally, the position in the reeds might be viewed by the bird as being camouflage or a hiding spot. Is this a large crop?

Thanks for commenting, David. It’s about 50% of the original . I wanted a more intimate look than what the camera caught and cropped out some water to the right and above.