Haleakala Silversword

I just got back from a quick backpacking trip in Haleakala NP on Maui. It is cold, wet and windy this time of year there which is nice since it pretty much feels like summer in Hawaii year round. Silverswords can live about 90 years, bloom once and die shortly after.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

ISO 400, F/8 1/1000 sec at 400mm handheld

I have never seen a Silversword, but can sure see how it earned it’s name. Rather than a shutter speed so high, I think an f-stop number would have given you more DOF and would have helped here. Focus stacking, which I haven’t gotten into yet, would also have provided all of the scene to be sharp in focus. It was nice to get it with water droplets on the blades.

Thanks for commenting Shirley, I think I could have used more depth of field and might have a few other versions that could be better. Since I was backpacking I wanted to have less weight, so I chose to not take a tripod or any other lenses. Just had a 100-400mm lens and shot everything handheld

You are welcome. I totally understand trying to keep the weight down while hiking. That’s a good lens length though to be able to get some macro, maybe wildlife as well as some landscape scenes maybe, even if it is small scenes.