Hawk Falls

This is Hawk Falls, one of the most visited waterfalls in this area of PA due to the short child friendly hike. During summer weekends the parking area can be overflowing with cars. I like to go at 7:00 am on a weekday morning, when it’s peaceful. Except for the traffic noise in the background from I-476 way up overhead.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D3300; 18-55 mm @ 18 mm; ISO 100; f/8; 1/3 sec.; Tripod; No filters.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nick, this would be my favorite spot to hangout, too. The image doesn’t portray any feeling of it being a crowded spot though. I think the image is a little bit right heavy with the waterfall and the rock in the FG positioned in the right half of the frame. Cropping the left part will alleviate that somewhat. I want to have a tad more room just below the rock in the FG.

@Adhika_Lie 's comments echo mine exactly.
:vulcan_salute:

Thanks Adhika & Michael. I think this re-crop may have did the trick.

1 Like

The rework is the ticket! Looks like a great swimming hole. It’s interesting how nature can be found almost anywhere, if one looks for it. It’s also a good move by local government to preserve this nice place.
-P

Nick,

Yes, the second version is a much stronger and better balanced composition. This is a lovely scene and I think you’ve done a great job with the processing. I like the contrast between the clean whites of the falls and the surrounding rock and vegetation.

Very minor suggestion would be to tone down the green/yellow saturation on some of the smaller plants - like the ones closest to the upper falls and then near the left edge in the rock. Very minor though.

Beautifully photographed.

Lon

Great take on Hawk Falls, I haven’t been there in years but makes sense that it is packed with cars on the weekends now. It used to be pretty empty during the winter as well, you just have to be careful getting down to the bottom if it’s covered in snow. I agree the rework is spot on, great shot!

Your repost nailed it, Nick. The breathing room under the rock works nicely as does the crop from the left. It looks like a great spot. I just noticed that the water looks a little cyan to me. If you are so inclined I would try reducing that just a little. Just a thought as the image is lovely.