Heart of the Tetons

Our morning in the Tetons did not start off well. We awoke at 5 a.m to make the nearly hours drive to Oxbow Bend in the park and the rain was coming down hard. We had one shot at this as we had to leave by noon back to Utah so this was a disappointing start. But we went anyway, arriving to a soggy, dark landscape and temps in the upper 30’s. I set up my tripod and decided not to set up my camera…why bother? My wife and I couldn’t believe the group of photographers out in the cold and rain pointing at God knows what.

We moved on. So much for the image I had in my mind but I’ve learned to be flexible and perhaps things may change. And change they did, slowly at first, but gradually light started coming through, lighting up the stunning autumn foliage as the land came alive. But the final piece of this play, the denouement, was the mountains themselves gradually being revealed in all their majestic tones…heart of the Tetons.

Fuji X-T2
Fuji -55-200
Adobe Lightroom/SEP/CEP

6 Likes

“I’ve learned to be flexible and perhaps things may change.”

That’s really the key, Mark.

I just finished a workshop in Yellowstone and the Tetons where we had challenging weather conditions almost every day. In the end, all of our clients recognized that bad weather can lead to great photos, and images that are totally unique rather than what they were trying to emulate based on what they had seen in their research online and in books.

Your photo is an excellent example of that. And BTW, nice job on both the capture and the processing.

• Greg

Thanks Greg! Having a “Plan B” in landscape photography is a must I’ve learned over my years of shooting. As for the challenging weather…bring it on. I believe it was Little Finger in GOT who said “Chaos is the latter of opportunity.” Anything but blue skies please.

Back
Forward