Heermann's Gull

At least I think it is-probably 2nd year gull. An uncommon find for me along the Oregon Coast. The adults have a distinctive red bill.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 421 mm; 1/1250 at f7.1, +1/3 EV; ISO 500

1 Like

Nice pose and head turn. The color contrast between the water and the subject with perch makes the image work. Gulls generally don’t get a lot of respect but many of the species are quite interesting.

1 Like

We don’t have many gulls here in the desert!! Cool looking bird with a nice background.

It feels a bit bright to me. I did a little work on the bird/perch and a little on the background.

Here’s the result.

Thanks, @Keith_Bauer . I like the changes, especially on the perch.

Very pleasing image. I do like @Keith_Bauer re-work, but the original image is also a keeper.

1 Like

A nice shot of this young gull, Allen! The composition is just right and I like that there is enough detail in the background water to recognize it as water rather than sky. I agree with Keith about the exposure and I think his rework is a definite improvement.

1 Like

I love the pose and perch in this one, Allen. I could see this with a tiny bit less exposure, but Keith’s version, at least on my monitor, looks rather oversaturated and a bit too dark to fit the summer coast.

1 Like