Her Majesty

I’ve yet to be able to get out backpacking this snow season, but I’ll finish off the fun I’ve had this week with an image of St. Helens from last winter.

2 Likes

Now that’s a lot of snow too! I love the lighting in this scene, both on the mountain and on the rocks in the foreground. The dynamic sky is a nice bonus also. The formations around the boulders from the wind provide lots of nice shadows and textures. The large version is particularly nice and has a very good sense of presence. Great shot, John!

1 Like

Another great, “lots of snow” scene, John. As Gary says, the sunlight on the mountain and clouds above add well to pulling my eyes through the scene. My last visit to St. Helens was in 1991 and the forest service roads from the east were such that I can’t imagine getting there in winter. It seems that lots has changed.

1 Like

Beautiful, John. Great light and the processing looks spot on. A nice vignette leads me through the scene and lots of snow-filled beauty front to back.

1 Like

John.

I like the soft shadowing on the mounds of snow in the foreground. You were able to capture a variety of grays and the vignetting on the edges of the sky is a nice touch for this image. Well done…Jim

1 Like

John: What a beautiful scene and a really nice conversion. I was living in Spokane when the mountain blew and when the weather folks said that the dark cloud to the west was ash from Mt Saint Helens I scoffed and said that’s not possible. Well, an inch of ash in our yard changed my mind pretty quick! I never visited the eruption site and moved away not long after. This makes me want to go back. :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like

Beautifully captured and finished. That’s a LOT of snow.

1 Like

The flow in this image and the lighting are just awesome, John. The light leads my eye right up to her. A wonderful image.

1 Like

John, a beautiful scene captured nicely. I don’t do much B&W myself, but this area was certainly deserving of it. Lighting is great, like the foreground rocks, allowing you to hop and skip your way deeper into the scene. Brooding sky is a bonus. If anything, I would probably wish for a bit less brightness in the mountain, if that were possible. The effort just to get there must have been arduous, so thank you for going.

1 Like

Wow, great shot. It’s perfect in my opinion. I love the composition and how you processed the image. Thanks for sharing.