High Country Big Horn Sheep

Give me some pointers. I am shooting with a 200-600mm and a 1.4x Teleconverter. Sony A7r4. So… I guess I worry about pushing the ISO. Though I feel I have to use Auto ISO. Maybe I need to figure out how to afford fast long glass. This was taken at about 1000mm.

How can I do this better. What can I improve. I took the shutter speed down to about 1/320th because it was relatively fast but… Not that fast. Subject was not moving super fast but it was handheld. I need to take my monopod next time I believe. That should help.

IG @travelsfromutah

Drew, when I shoot mammals, once I go below 1/800 at 750 mm FOV (500mm on a crop sensor) my keeper rate drops significantly. If I may ask, what’s your ISO for this image? With my D500, I was comfortable pushing my ISO to 5000. Above that requires a lot more work in post-processing.

My experience is that tripod/monopod is useful only when there is a lot of waiting going on or when the subject is not going anywhere. Once they are moving, faster shutter speed is your best friend.

Hi Drew!
If you’re using 200-600 mm lens, I would advise you first to shoot w/o converter, once you start getting sharp pictures, then you may try a converter.
Good support is the best accessory, be it monopod or tripod. If in a vehicle, a bean bag too can be very good.

1 Like

Drew: you never mentioned what focal length you shot at. A good rule of thumb is to shoot at a shutter speed that is the reciprocal of your focal length when shooting hand held. This can be lowered if well supported on a tripod, mono or bean bag.
It’s a good idea to post as much info as possible. Richard

1250 ISO, 441mm with the Sony 200-500G and the shutter speed was a measly 1/320th. Sounds like i should have let the ISO go up to whatever below 5000 and put the shutter speed at 1/500th. Makes sense. I do have a good Monopod (if I can find it.) This was handheld.
This long glass is a new adventure for me.

If you happen to shoot at 441 mm, then converter wasn’t required at all.

You are correct… But I was switching between focal lengths that required it and back to those which did not minute by minute.