High up...again

Another aerial view, this from somewhere over Iowa, with recently frozen lakes and a new, light cover of snow.

Specific Feedback Requested

any and all

Technical Details

Pentax K200, 1/1000, f/8.0, 70mm, ISO400 with adjustments to tone curves in LR

1 Like

Wow, that is so cool. Looks almost like a quilt but with wild shapes. It’s very heard to judge the size and scale. Well seen, John.

This is a fascinating perspective and image John. So well done! Love the patterns and shapes. I don’t really see anything that needs improving except maybe a slight bump up in exposure.

1 Like

All the patterns and textures are great, John. I do agree with @Alfredo_Mora about bring up the exposure maybe even some brightness/contract would help to make it pop a little more.

1 Like

John,

An incredible view and perspective. The roads and boundaries give the viewer a big clue as to what they’re looking at. Very cool and interesting the interaction between the order of the roads and boundaries vs. the random and chaotic nature of the bodies of water.

An amazing photograph. I would agree about playing with the exposure as this is somewhat flat - then again appears to be quite overcast this day…

Lon

1 Like

Thanks all for your kind comments. Here is an updated version with increased brightness, contrast and a touch of saturation.

1 Like

This is a fascinating image John! At first based on the thumbnail I thought it was going to be a detail of bark on a tree. The ice on the lakes makes for a mesmerizing texture, and I quite enjoy that. I agree about making it a bit brighter (these things are often revealed when we go to print a photo versus seeing them online). I would also be tempted to play with the rotation or perhaps using the transform tool in photoshop to distort/skew the image every so slightly to make some of the inherent straight lights of the roads and crops a bit more straight. I think it’s the vertical lines being off that makes the image feel every so slightly disorienting—though it could also just be playing off my fear of heights now that I know what I’m looking at. :slight_smile: Fantastic work!

1 Like

Nicely seen. The rework improves the image, to my mind. I think straightening the lines might help as well.

Hi Don,
An amazing image, like it very much! I think there is a possibility to also go in the opposite direction in fact reducing the saturation. A quick example is shown below, together with a perspective change (and then off course a crop) to get vertical lines.

1 Like

This is a fantastic image, John. The shapes resembling pieces of a puzzle, and the contrasting lines and colors keep the eye wandering throughout the image. If this was my image, I would play with it and take it in different directions. Just the changes seen with the above suggestions show how much this image can change with just the slightest of changes. Really well seen!

Thank you all for your many kind and useful comments.