House Finch and Snow

D850 600mm f4 (1/800 sec. at F8, ISO 5000) Levels, Brightness & Contrast, Topaz DeNoise, Crop for comp.

The adaptable house finch is doing quite well on a cold, dark, snowy morning in Southeast Michigan. The scrunched up tail agasinst the leaves is symbolic for a bird that is a misfit East of the Mississippi River…Jim

3 Likes

Jim, you caught him in a nice position, and with the fall leaves and the snowflakes falling makes for an interesting image of this little guy.

1 Like

Very nice, Jim. As noted by Shirley, the leaves really set this guy off, and you have a nice bg. There is a subtle soft quality to this shot.

1 Like

The house finch adds some nice color to the composition and the looser crop adds to the environment. I might clone away the leaf and stick on the bottom left extending to the edge of the canvas.

1 Like

A beautiful shot Jim. A great pose on some delicate leaves but it’s the rather etherial background that makes it for me.

1 Like

Hi Jim
I really like the way the branches and leaves lead my eye up to the House Finch. The shot is vary clean, with good color and detail for an ISO of 5000. Nice work.
Peter

1 Like

Excellent, Jim. That oak leaf perch is really working out nicely. Well done.

1 Like

Pretty little guy with a cute pose, just waiting for you to finish before he gets on with his day. The leafy perch is very nice, and the BG is fantastic!

1 Like

I really like this image! Such a pleasing composition, with a wonderful color palette. A PERFECT example of why it isn’t necessary to fill the frame to have a top notch image. The only thing I’d change is to do a leaf-ectemy for the lone leaf protruding out the bottom of the frame.

1 Like

I like the alert pose and the leaves frame the finch nicely. Good background.

1 Like

Thank you @Shirley_Freeman , @terryb , @Dennis_Plank , @David_Schoen , @Ryan_H , @peter , @Diane_Miller , @Keith_Bauer , and @Allen_Brooks for your comments. Also, many thanks for the Editor’s Pick. I may remove the offending leaf, but I made one print with it left in and it does not really bother me. The print turned out very well. …

1 Like

Excellently executed image, Jim. Well-deserving of the editor’s pick.

1 Like