Hover Fly on Yellow Coneflower

One of the joys (or miseries) of insect macros is the ID of a species. I finally got a solid ID on this fly from one of my entomologist friends. I took this several weeks ago, but I hate posting without an accompanying ID! In all truth, my knowledge of insects, other than the various bark beetles, consisted of making a bug collection as a requirement for forest entomology 55 years ago.

Thanks for viewing and any comments!

Camera Info: Nikon D500, handheld
Lens: VR 300mm f/4E + 1.4x TC
Focal Length: 420mm
Focus Mode: AF-C
AF-Area Mode: Dynamic, 25 points
VR: ON
Aperture: f/10
Shutter Speed: 1/320s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Metering: Spot
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 400
48% of full frame
PP in LR/PS CC 2018, Topaz Studio, Camera Raw filter, TK sharpen for web @ 50%

I am impressed with the quality of this image with respect to its crop percentage and that you utilized a 1.4 TC on that f4 300 & handheld at 320th. Well composed with superb detail on the fly. (I am guessing you took this on the fly!)

Phil, this is a good look at this hover fly. The subtle color shift from the yellow flower to the orange fly works well. The view is nice and tight and the eyes stand out well. I’m with you on IDing most insects. Although it can take quite some effort, the web site https://bugguide.net/ can be useful provided you have a decent starting guess.

What a great macro shot, Phil. Such nice colors and detail, with a nice soft complimentary background.

Phil, I had to stop and make a comment here. This is very nice indeed. Trying capture any macro shot for me is tough, never mind a possible moving flower and or flying critter in the mix. Very nice work as always…:sunglasses:

Phil this looks very sharp for a handheld shot, you must have steadier hands than me. I really like the 45 degree rotation of the fly, it makes for a very dynamic placement of the subject. And the background is gorgeous, it really makes the subject pop out.