How to deal with a warm image - Bouddi National Park

What technical feedback would you like if any?

How does the sun look & is there anything I can do with the colours/darks to help the composition

I’m doing something new and working with an analogous kinda colour scheme (colours grouped on one side of the colour wheel) and are not 100% sure if all the warm greens, oranges etc work

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

anything, go for it :slight_smile:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

accidentally switched from shooting from raw to jpeg for this while fiddling with settings…so!
It’s 4 images at different exposures manually masked in, dodge burning, camera raw, tk actions & added artificial starburst (because I couldn’t get anything out of the jpeg shot I had for the burst)

I quite like how the color turns out. The warmth seems appropriate and tasteful. The composition seems balanced, too. I am not too crazy about the rendition of the sun nor the sun star and perhaps pulling back the highlights a little more would help but I understand that you might not have any dynamic range left with the JPEGs.

Sighs, cameras should have a way to disable JPEG completely. Make it a two step process or something to change from RAW to JPEG. Heck, I don’t mind creating a password that I could forget forever.

1 Like

Dale, I like this image a lot, it has a lot mood and atmosphere. I think the composition is very strong, the placement of the bay, and the diagonal foreground rock are very well handled. My only nit from a composition standpoint is the rock gets almost clipped along the left edge. I think adding canvas and using Content Aware Fill can create a little breathing room there.

I agree with @Adhika_Lie, something about the sun-star seems off. I think they usually are more symmetrical than this. Having a sunstar certainly helps this image, and I’m not sure how you manufactured this one, but it may be worth trying to tweak it a bit.

I think your work with color here was pretty successful. The warm greens on the land work for me, and the warm tones in the sky look natural. I also like the warm tones in the highlights on the rocks, they are very inviting, and not overdone IMO. If I was to suggest anything, it would be to take the deepest shadows in the rocks slightly cooler, which I think further accentuates the warm highlights on the rocks. I would not cool the darker tones in the green areas though. Here is an example of the direction I might go, with add canvas/CAF also done.

1 Like