How to form a new group

Is there any interest in creating a group that I’ve described as “Nature Photography on a Budget”? I love nature and landscape photography, but I don’t have thousands of dollars just for a camera body, and then more thousands for lenses, tripods, etc. And don’t get me started on the expense of workshops. I recently watched a YouTube video by a photographer who I very much respect, and whose videos have taught me a lot, but his new kit that was the subject of the video totaled about $12,000 for the camera body and two lenses. How would I go about creating a new group, and is there sufficient interest in the community for a topic like this? Thanks.

Hey Paul, I think that’s a great idea. I’ve created a new chat channel that you can access here Chat #Nature Photography on a Budget, anyone that’s interested will need to join the channel. If this doesn’t take off you can always just create a new topic in Discussion asking for advice on affordable gear.

1 Like

Hi Paul, Welcome to NPN! I might have some interest discussing and/or offering some thoughts. I would encourage you to join the chat group/Channel David just created. I have some thoughts. For now, my day job is calling me, but I’ll have more response later.

First question though, what are you currently shooting with? Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, ? full frame, apc, etc. Costs can be reduced by staying within brand so you’re not having to replace lenses, adapters, etc…

Join the channel and let’s see where you’re at and what can be recommended!

Lon

Thanks David. I’ll get on it.

Hi Lon. Thanks for the response. I will be joining the channel. I have a Nikon D7500 which I bought in a kit with a Nikon DX 18-55 and a Nikon DX 70-300. I’ve been very happy with this kit, although I did save up some money and bought a Nikon DX 10-20. I’m currently saving to replace my Rocketfish tripod that I bought at BestBuy. Two more pay periods and I’ll be there. I’m pretty happy with my kit, but I constantly see the latest and greatest being marketed and feel a bit overwhelmed as though my stuff just isn’t good enough.

Your kit is fine!!! I totally get the in-your-face new gear crap and it’s horrible. Go out and enjoy what you have and make the best photos you have while having fun. That’s all there is to it. I’m interested to see where you take the group and agree that the latest and greatest gear isn’t the key to good photography.

2 Likes