How To Get Rid Of G.A.S

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Is there enough here to hold someone’s interest.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Nikon D800, 17mm, 1 sec @ f/16, ISO 100
Everytime I have a GAS attack and convince myself I’m too old to be carrying around all this full frame high megapixel DSLR gear and fast heavy lenses and contemplate switching to a smaller mirrorless system like the Fuji X-T3, I keep finding images within my images. I’ve probably cropped at least 2/3 of the original to come up with this. I would imagine it’s no more than a 10 mp file. I don’t think I could crop that much with the lower res Fuji, so for now I think I’ll stick to my old in the tooth D800.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Oh wow, beautiful, Mike. The processing of each individual element here is spot on. Have you considered flipping it, Mike? I tried it and liked the left-to-right flow better.

Hopefully, I am not going on a tangent here but as for the GAS, don’t we all fight this battle every day? :laughing: I have been contemplating about the D850 for a bit but I am not mainly attracted by the high megapixels but more with the bells and whistles (automatic focus shifting for example) but I keep telling myself: Don’t be lazy.

I love this image, with the swirls of the misty water running around those so tack sharp rocks. The colors and the details are really nice. I think we all go through the thought process of lighter, newer equipment from time to time, but so far I am holding onto what I have (Canon 5D Mark II and the III, and a 7D Mark II). I am pretty familiar with them, no learning curve, and all of my lenses work on them without having to buy anything to make them work! I have seen some really nice photos taken with the mirrorless cameras, so it is tempting at times, especially when trying to pack all of it up and go out to shoot.

I remember this image from the past and I do think you cropped down to the very best part of it.

I don’t know what a GAS attack is and I’m afraid to ask.

1 Like

Absolutely this will hold my interest! Quite a beautiful scene and I think the processing is spot on. Wonderful work Michael!

Oh yes, the backpack weight loss dream. I have it often but also have not made the switch…yet!

There’s a whole lot to what you say. Early in the digital era we switched our business over from MF film to the then-low resolution 35mm DSLRs. They were fine for uncropped images with modest enlargement, but things went to pieces with crops or images requiring extra detail. Worst were group shots of people, whether events, weddings or family gatherings. Upon close examination of individual faces the lower res resulted in only a few pixels per face, totally unacceptable for images that were to be sold as large as 30"x40" or so. Even scanned MF film was cutting it pretty thin, so we resorted to 4x5 film and direct printing at considerable extra cost during the transition to digital printing.

All ancient history and water under the bridge. That is, until you start cropping images from low res cameras.

Oh wait… There’s a picture with your post!!! Sorry for the rant, but your insight is all too familiar and I was offering support.

This image offers plenty of interest for me, in fact it’s exceptionally good. Stay clear of those mirrorless thingamabobbies however, at least until they get their pixel counts in order. :wink: I have no doubt they’re here to stay and the technology will advance. But buying current models brings with it all the shortcomings of the first DSLR’s. Right down to file drawers full of worthless gear once the new arrive.

Michael, I like this a lot. The wispy water works nicely around the excellently detailed rocks here. I also think the combination of the blue water at the top and then the brown sand at the bottom makes a neat combination too.

Yes, the old GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) can take it’s toll on our wallets. But losing the weight aspect is more then just a new reason for upgrading too.
I guess I’ll soon find out if my most recent order pays off correctly…:upside_down_face:

Michael,

This image is fantastic! Great job recognizing the potential with the crop. I just love a number of things about this. First the cool/warm color contrasts and second the soft/detail contrast between the fuzzy water and the sharp details of the rock. The combination of all the elements are making for a very striking image.

No nits or suggestions. Love this.

Lon

Oh, I was going to offer a SWAG on the GAS and got it right - BEFORE I read Paul’s comment - really.

My approach is recognizing not only am I getting to be an old geezer - I’m a cheap-*ss old geezer. I have no intention on downsizing and plan on keeping my full frame camera as long as it continues working. As it was, I literally liquidated all my 4x5 gear to be able to purchase a refurbished dslr. It’s rare that I have any extra found money around so I make do and try to keep my GAS controlled. :innocent:

Thanks @Adhika_Lie. I’ll check out flipping it. Thanks @Shirley_Freeman, @Lon_Overacker, @Hank_Pennington, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Alan_Kreyger, @Igor_Doncov. Igor, Gas is an acronym for gear acquisition syndrome. Oh, I’m a cheap *ss too, Lon. If I do purchase something new, I won’t buy anything that costs more than the sale of my present gear.

@Lon_Overacker, this is the only true cure for GAS.

Mike,
It obviously does not matter that you had to crop to come up with this composition. It happens to all of us. I think sometimes; at least for me; we tend to not work a scene enough when something initially caught our eye and we only find out later what it was.

This is a truly gorgeous image that you came away with. It has a wonderful dreamy quality that is very appealing. I really like the color palette along with the fleeting motion of the wave action. Since you cropped this do you have any more room on the right? This is being really nit picky because I would like to see a little more of that wave on the right side. Certainly not a deal breaker because this is fantastic as is.

Mike, this is very nice, and good work going back to find this crop. The color palette is excellent here, and the flow of water around the rocks looks great. I would agree with Ed’s comment about a little more room on the right if you have it, but very nice as is.

Beautiful, Michael. The dreamy swirl around the rocks and the warm/cool tones works for me.

I had the chance to hold a Nikon Z7. It felt good and much lighter than my D810 and is something like 48MP. For now, my D810 works just fine. But when the next generation of the Z7 comes out, who knows. I do like you can get a f4 24-70mm for the Z7, not an option for my camera in any brand lens that I know of.

Thanks @Ed_Lowe, @Harley_Goldman, @Craig_Moreau. Ed and Craig, I do have enough on right in original to add some. Harley, I was looking at the Nikon Z series, but thought with the full frame lenses, it would still be quite heavy.
:vulcan_salute:

Mike, I’m late coming in here, but I like the light delicate feeling to this. The colors are very crisp and clean. the wave swirling around the rocks is perfect, well timed shutter trip on your part. I too wish for a little room on the right. This would be very easy to do in PS with Add Canvas / Content Aware Fill, if you don’t have more room in the original shot.

One thing I have done to lighten my camera bag as I’ve got older ( while avoiding GAS) is use 16-35mm f4 and 70-200mm f4 lenses instead of the f 2.8 versions. Fortunately Canon has excellent versions of both of these lenses, I’m not sure if Nikon has similar offerings. Because Canon is new to the mirrorless game, I have decided to wait 2 to 3 more years before switching away from my 5D MKIV, in order to take advantage of a more mature line from Canon.