Hummingbird in my apple tree

I don’t usually photograph birds, but being stuck at home now for over two months due to COVID-19 has helped me to discover life in my yard. This little hummingbird and its friends play with me daily. What a joy.

Nikon d850 with Nikkor 200-500mm at 400mm, 1/2000, f/5.6, ISO 500, no filters, handheld.
This is my first post to the network, so let me know if I am not doing it right!

Please list any pertinent technical details or techniques to help others.

2 Likes

Great shot. White and white. I think that you’ve captured a rare leucistic hummer. To me this is “wall hanger”. Welcome, by the way. Looking forward to more of your shots.

Welcome to NPN!
Wow, this is a beautiful shot! I don’t comment much on avian photos, but I do know from experience how hard it is to capture a great hummingbird! And to get it with the beautiful flowers, and bokeh! Absolutely love it!

1 Like

Thank you! I now am reading up on leucistic hummers. This bird was mostly grey and white but it did have some crimson red on the throat.

Thank you! This hummer has been hanging around but it took about 3 days for it to discover my apple tree so that I could get this shot.