Hypnotic Curves

Yea, for those of you lucky enough to draw a permit, you probably recognize this image as part of the Wave. No doubt I snapped a few nice classic overview images of this iconic spot, but there are many other photographic opportunities if one just seeks them out.
Normally, an image without a sky is much simpler to process, but this image was taken at high noon, so there was a challenge to maintain the right exposure. And surprisingly to me, it is somewhat challenging to create the right hue and saturation for the reddish sandstone. One has a lot of artistic license, so I hope it comes across well.
Cheers!
Ken

2 Likes

No matter how well this is known I never tire of appreciating it. It almost doesn’t look like it’s made by nature. I think I prefer this to those Antelope Canyon images that are just as well known.

1 Like

I definitely prefer this to the classic overview shots. You did a great job handling the light at high noon. Bravo!

1 Like

Ken,

Ditto to both Igor and Brent’s comments. Hard to believe this was at high noon. Kudos for the comp, processing and presentation. Excellent!

Lon

1 Like

I like this a lot! I believe that you worked very hard in post to create very fine color separation so the lines are visible and serve as a perfect leading lines. Very very fine processing!

1 Like

Yep, your observations are correct. Besides trying to get the sandstone hues correctly, my main objective was making sure the “lines” of light sandstone were still prominent enough to capture one’s attention.
Cheers,
Ken

1 Like
Back
Forward