I Shouldn't Have Eaten the Whole Thing

We ventured onto a back road in the Everglades last April, too late for birds and in the midst of a drought. Lots of dusty grassland swamps with many watercourses dry and lakes reduced to ponds. I wish a different POV was possible for this, but made the most of what was presented with our limited mobility. I love the textures in the gator itself and its reflection. The light is darned near spiritual for my tastes.

Handheld with a Nikon D7200 and Nikon 200-500 f/5.6.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

The head on this big guy just falls off into nothingness for me, but maybe that’s good for bringing out the body texture and reflection. What do you think?

Any pertinent technical details:!

Um, yeah… Screaming screeching April mosquitoes make handheld cameras very nervous. Bring your favorite bug dope or bug net.

Great texture in metallic colors and cool reflection too!
Just like you I too wish that different POV was possible.

Jagdeep Rajput

Thanks for the feedback Jagdeep. I hadn’t come around to the insight about “metallic colors,” but you’re right.

I learned something in the experience, which I hope to apply on our next visit: Midday light can be a friend in the right setting. I’m prone to long naps when the light gets harsh, but I plan to venture back into the shadows in search of “spot lights” of sun breaking through the canopy. Lots of critters seek out those spots for winter warming, creating unique photo opportunities. Hopefully this winter there will be lots more water for them too.

1 Like

10/10 title and description of “spiritual” light :laughing: I totally agree.

I wish he was facing you but the reflection, light, and contrast of textures still makes this a solid image.