Ice Water + Repost

Photographing a local waterfall in ice, I found this scene at my feet. I shot this now 10 years ago, and I still enjoy it immensely. I’ve reprocessed it with a more restrained (hopefully!) color palette.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
D300; 24-70 f/2.8 @34mm (51mm equiv), ISO 200, 3sec.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@jim_mcgovern_photography

Jim, the ice structures are neat and the textural contrast with the moving water looks good. The colors in the stick are a fine change-of-pace. I do wonder how this would look without the blue cast, but that’s all about photographer’s “intent” and you may like the blue. It’s easy to see why you like this.

I can see where this is still quite enjoyable after 10 years, Jim. I like it a lot. The moving water in the background of the ice is a nice juxtaposition, in two ways: the waterfall seems small, and the ice seems larger, being closer to the lens; and the ice being frozen water with running water in the background. Very well seen and captured. You might could try (if you haven’t already) to tone down the blue in this to see if you prefer it better, but I am okay with it like it is as well. As Mark said, it is what the photographer intends. :+1: :+1:

A very interesting macro landscape, Jim! Quite a variety of shapes, colors and textures in this scene. The strong blue cast gives it a pretty artistic look although I’m kinda curious what it might look like in more natural tones.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman, @Mark_Seaver and @Gary_Minish…the color cast appears to be a unanimous issue and I’m constantly reminded of my own “color blindness”. I’ve heard of others experiencing “contrast blindness”. Anyway, I’m grateful to you all for your perspective and feedback. If you can, I’d be interested in your feedback on the redo here, but I must confess I’m doing this from a laptop with less than ideal color correction on the monitor. Let me know if you think I could calm things down a bit further and thanks again!

Jim, v2 is much more realistic although you may be able to take it a bit further. The ice on the stick looks good, but there background water is still a hair blue although I’d call it acceptable.

1 Like

@Mark_Seaver…you are one capable observer! I used a Blue Lights 2 mask which would’ve excluded the areas you see. I’ll go back and use a broader mask…thanks again!

Jim: I really like this intimate scene and your rework is a nice improvement IMO. I edited your title to reflect that you added an image. It’s always a good idea to do so so that folks can revisit and check out the changes. :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like