If Dead Trees Could Talk

This intimate landscape at Uluru spoke to me about the ancestors of the Anangu aboriginal people for whom Uluru is sacred. Might the trees be telling an ages old story of the dreaming?

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any/all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any/all

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D500, Tokina 24-70mm f.28 lens at f9, 1/160sec, ISO 250

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Hi Larry! I like this image and the concept - well seen! IMHO I feel the dead trees are not as prominent as they should be as they get lost a bit in the massive cliff face. I suggest cropping from the top to make the trees stand out more.

Steve, Thanks for viewing and commenting on this image. Actually, the cliff is as central to the image as are the trees. This is because it is the Uluru sacred rock. I may crop a small amount from the top and a little from the bottom as well. This should help. Thanks. Larry

Oh wow, I love the background a lot. The trees in the FG set off the ā€œfoldingā€ in the background really well and the lighting on them are pretty, too. I think your processing is quite spot on. However, I think the merging of the dead trees with the other trees in the BG breaks the image for me. I have heard good things about the Uluru and hopefully I will be able to visit this place some day.

Larry,

Great image! Actually, I think itā€™s the rock that has the stories - and technically the rock is older and makes sense more stories would be containedā€¦ :smiley:

And because of that, the trees are more of an accent for me as a viewer and so their arrangement with the snags and live trees is less important.

I think the wall is daunting, ominousā€¦ and I wouldnā€™t crop. This is wonderful as presented.

Lon

Hi @Larry_Greenbaum, i like the contast between bright foreground and dark background. Dead trees shapes add interest to the image. Thanks for sharing.

This shot caught my eye. Love the juxtaposition of the small trees against the massive cliff. Lovely colors and light. Love it.

Thanks, Lon. Surely, you are correct - it is the rock that speaks best about the anagnu people and their dreaming stories. To me, the dead trees look almost like people in conversation. Your positive evaluation of the image is most helpful. Thanks. Larry

Massimo, Thanks for visiting and commenting on this image. Larry

Thanks Doug, The best evaluation of our images is in the perception of viewers, so your comment is much appreciated. Larry

Larry, I appreciate your composition a lot. The background works aptly like a kind of empty space for me - although it keeps important information a the same time. Your choice of format and crop makes for an appealing tension to my eye.

I just think of burning the highlights a tiny bit in order to get some more details there. Maybe only at the borders, like a kind of vignetting. This is only my personal opinion of course. I like the image a lot as presented, full of energy. Thanks for sharing.

Peter

Peter, Thanks for weighing in on this image; yes, I think you are right. I will try some manual vignetting in the highlight areas. Good idea. Larry