Introduce yourself to the NPN community!

Here’s a hearty Welcome to NPN to all of our newest members who have not previously signed on. :+1:

Also, I extend a Welcome to previous members who have returned to NPN. :+1:

Please spread the word! Our NPN community is growing, and with everyone’s help, it will continue to grow and flourish as a place to share, and learn!
-P

4 Likes

Hello everyone! I joined this community after hearing about it from F-Stop Collaborate and Listen podcast.

I’m from Wisconsin and I live in a pretty picturesque part of the state on the shores of Lake Michigan. So I’m pretty lucky that I have lots of opportunity very close to home to hone my skills. I also love to travel around as much as possible. In the past couple of years I’ve been all around the US and trips to Europe and Iceland.

I’ve been doing photography as a serious hobby for about 6 years now. Like most people here, I’m a landscape and nature photographer. Photographing in the outdoors is definitely my passion. Though I also shoot weddings and portraits so make some extra money. I’m not a full-time pro, I am a sales manager at a manufacturing plant, but hopefully some day I can make photography my main gig. :slightly_smiling_face:

I shoot with Nikon and Fuji cameras. I’ve been shooting Nikon since the beginning of my photography journey and added Fuji to the mix last summer. I find myself grabbing the Fuji more and more these days as I love the compactness of the system.

I’m excited to be a part of this new/old community and to learn from everyone and share what I can.

If you want to check out some of my work, you can visit my website. I’m also pretty active on Instagram, Facebook, 500px.

6 Likes

Hello everyone. I am new to NPN but on the suggestion of a fellow camping forum member, decided to check it out. I’ve been an avid hobbyist since 2009, with photography becoming a major focus in my life and travels since around 2014. The suggestion to join the forum comes at a good time for me. For the last few years, I’ve felt I hit a wall as far as improvement and growth. A shoulder injury has me mostly sidelined from the wildlife photography that I love. This forum looks like a great place to get back to a focus on learning, getting feedback and finding inspiration rather than just sharing and moving on. I think this will be a good place to spend time while I heal, to find the motivation to get back out there and to participate fully when I have new material to contribute.

To see some of my work, visit my website at https://terribarnett.smugmug.com/

7 Likes

It’s nice to find another UK member on here! I try to get up to Snowdonia whenever i can. I live in Kent so it’s a bit of a drive! Turns out i already follow you on insta :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone! I also new NPN and heard about it via Matt Payne’s podcast. I live in South East England and I’ve been a photographer for 8 years now but only recently have dedicated myself to it and quit my day job to pursue it professionally full time. Landscape photography is my biggest passion and i’ve always been a a person of the outdoors and travelling to new and exciting places.

I’m super glad that i have found this community where i can learn and engage with other likeminded and serious nature photographers. Instagram just isn’t the place to obtain genuine and honest feedback which is why this appeals to me so much.

I’m excited to become more involved with the community and learn from critiques as well as provide critiques for others.

If you would like to see my work, you can find it on my website and instagram.

5 Likes

Hi everyone! I first joined NPN back at the end of 2003 and was very active for many years. NPN was where I learned almost everything I know about photography. It is great to be back on here again and see so many folks I haven’t seen in years. NPN has always had such a great sense of cooperation and community. This new format is great and makes it so much easier to post images than before. They look great on here too!

I live at the edge of Rocky Mountain National Park and specialize in photographing this beautiful place. I have my main gallery in Estes Park, Colorado which is on the east entrance to the park and another one in Grand Lake, Colorado on the west side of the park as well as a small one in New Mexico. These days as well as selling prints I’ve moved into writing and producing books that incorporate photography as well as calendars, cards and other such things. My little publishing company is called “Rocky Trail Press”. I also have started leading photography tours with friends who run a tour company.

In spite of the things I’m doing, I recognize that I still have a lot to learn and so look forward to continuing to grow and learn as part of this incredible NPN community.

9 Likes

Hi all I’m Jannick and I am from Denmark and living in Brisbane Australia. I have always loved landscape photography and that’s my main focus now days. Hoping to go full time one day. I did a bit of sports and wedding photography for a while too. In 2016 I was lucky enough to win the landscape category at the Australian professional photography awards. I just joined yesterday and am looking forward to seeing everybody work. Have a good one

8 Likes

yeah, likewise! I didn’t expect to find too many. Yeah it’s a fair trek from Kent up here, especially on the weekends. Send me a message next time you’re up and I’ll come say hi. I noticed I was also following you; the photography community is so much smaller than you expect.

1 Like

I will! And yes it really is, countless times I’ve met people in the field only to realise we follow each other on Instagram haha.

Cool :blush: yeah me too, many times. Even once on some remote beach on Skye.

1 Like

Hey Terri! Glad you made it. We’re on the road now and for at least the next six months, so my sign-ons will be sporadic. But I’ll look for more of your great work here. NPN has lots to offer.

1 Like

Hi All, my name is John Scane I’m a Los Angeles based artist and teacher. I am primarily a painter but I also create custom furniture and recently became more “serious” about photography ;). I have always used cameras being an artist but more for practical reasons like photographing and documenting artworks as well as taking images to be used as reference for paintings. That all changed when I sold off my woodworking business and started to travel more. I somehow decided I could use photography for more than just documenting and taking snapshots ( only took me about 25 years ). I really started to fall in love with nature photography about 3 years ago and have been trying to see how it fits into my art making. I am looking forward to sharing my images and getting critical about them! I’m in the process of updating my websites so when they are finished I’ll post the links in my profile. Thanks!

8 Likes

Greetings all,

My name is Mike Brookbank and I currently reside in Alaska. I am making a living as an electrician and spending my weekends taking photographs. I first got into photography back in 2004 and stuck with it for a couple of years before losing interest, as teenagers often do with things. I regret not sticking with it. In 2016 I picked up a camera again and haven’t stopped since! I joined this site after hearing about it on the F-Stop Collaborate and Listen podcast, shout out @Matt_Payne! Good work buddy. The discussion about this website intrigued me as I have been looking for a platform that would help me improve my photography and interact with genuine people with a passion for this art. This website is a great boon for us photographers not interested in followers or likes but advancement. I sincerely thank everyone involved in its creation. I hope to share, interact, and improve with all of you for years to come!

8 Likes

Hi Everyone! My name is William McIntosh and I am a full time music professor at a community college here in Southern California and part time landscape photographer. I started shooting back in high school with a Canon AE1 and moved to digital back in 2005. After 3-4 years of shooting everything, I migrated into landscapes in 2009 and have since become rather manic about shooting whenever I get the chance. Due to the fact that I live in one of the most desolate landscape locations on the planet (not counting the coast which is always covered in fog or cloudless…take your pick) and that I am surrounded on all sides by brown hills, asphalt and power lines here in North Orange County, I am almost always out putting miles on my Prius and/or FJ by heading up to the Sierras or out to the dessert to do some shooting.

Big kudos to Matt Payne for the recent episode and for motivating me to join. I had heard tales of the NPN community from other “old timers” who were around when it first began. I wasn’t aware of the website back then as I was just discovering flickr, 500px and eventually instagram, etc. By the time I learned of this community, it sounded like it was really a thing of the past. Glad to hear that David and Jennifer have brought it back. I truly enjoy the landscape community and look forward to seeing your photos and reading through the comments. I also hope to meet a few more photographers from SoCal as it seems that the majority of you are from everywhere BUT here. Southern California can literally suck the soul out of you, especially during the Summer months, so I’m hoping to find more fellow Southlanders to commiserate with, while also meeting some new friends from all over the world. Looking forward to your photos, articles and discussions!

7 Likes

Hello everyone,

I just discovered this community and immediately decided to join. I have been looking for a platform like this since a while!

My interest in landscape and nature photography began to develop in 2008, when I spent a sabbatical year in California and traveled across the United States to visit some of the fantastic National Parks, especially in the Southwest. Since then, I started to study books, tutorials, etc., but learned mostly by practicing in the field and experimenting with post processing techniques, always trying to find and develop my own style.

Landscape photography is now a great passion of mine, and I try to find enough time to be outside in nature shooting. This is not always easy, since I have a family and a pretty demanding job. In the last couple of years I have been shooting in some great locations in USA, Namibia, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, Italy, and Portugal.

In my professional life, I am a professor in environmental sciences. I teach soil science and environmental geochemistry and conduct research on the biogeochemistry of trace elements in the environment, often working at degraded and contaminated sites. I think this also influences my photography, which takes me to more beautiful places in nature. Also, I love geologic formations and patterns formed by erosion, sedimentation, and other dynamic processes in deserts, mountains, and coasts.

I hope that you will enjoy my posts in this forum, and I am very much looking forward to interacting with this community!

10 Likes

I also live in SoCal and feel your pain… I used to live in HB and the coast was my go to spot but it got old after awhile… at least there is the Sierras, Death Valley and Joshua Tree : )

1 Like

Welcome to the tribe Candee. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi John - It’s always good to meet another SoCal photographer. On most days, I drive to work dreaming about what it would be like to live in Moab, or Portland, or Colorado…basically anywhere but here. I guess it could be more challenging if we lived in Kansas or Oklahoma (except for the storms!) I’m still grateful for the coast on those rare days that we actually get some good light down there. In the mean time…it’s 4 hours to Lone Pine, 5 to Death Valley, 6 to Yosemite, and 15 to the Tetons. I guess it’s a good thing we like to drive!

1 Like

It’s great to see you here William. I miss our chats about icons! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

I’m delighted to be able to join this inspiring endeavor. Landscape photography is a source of deep happiness for me, although I’m also a professional oral historian (day job and another passion), writer, and small press publisher. I’m interested in combining all of these skills, and I’m particularly interested in photobooks. I’m also interested in conservation photography. I studied environmental studies at UC Santa Cruz.

Look forward to having deeper, more meaningful exchanges about photography here than are possible in Facebook format. As a writer I have long benefitted from constructive criticism but in the photography world I have found less of that. So thanks for doing this and I look forward to diving into NPN!’

best, Irene

8 Likes