It's Summertime

I’m curious what people’s take on something like this is as it’s different from what I usually see in this gallery of beautiful flowers.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Changes in composition? Lose the frame or make it larger?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D II; Sigma 150-600 at 484 mm (I was out shooting birds and came upon this wild cherry tree); 1/200 at f7.1; ISO 100 (even at this ISO, I needed to use a small amount of noise reduction in Topaz NR)
Thanks for any input.

Hi Allen! This is a very striking image and I definitely think it belongs in this gallery. The red really pops against the green of the leaves and background. I like everything about it. Well done!

1 Like

Allen: This absolutely belongs in this gallery. Great find and a good solid comp. The tough thing about subjects like this is deciding where to crop. The small group of cherries at the top do pull my eye that way but if you simply crop them away then you’re left with a truncated upper part of the frame that merely trades one problem for another. What works better for me is to clone away the upper partial bunch. Great to have you posting here. >=))>

Allen,
The combination of reds and greens works beautifully in this image. I do like @Bill_Fach’s crop as it does tighten up the scene and still leaves all the good stuff for us to enjoy. Great job on keeping the BG OOF and keeping the cherries sharp.

1 Like

Thanks, Bill. I had the same concern and I like your solution. As @Ed_Lowe said, it does tighten up the scene nicely.

An excellent choice, Allen. I like Bill’s modification, but the basic composition and the depth of field are right on.

1 Like

Allen, these cherries look luscious and theres a good sense of eye flow throughout the frame. For me, removing the cherries at the top does “tighten” the view, but it reduces the eye flow…artist’s choice. You might also try burning them down and slightly desaturating them to reduce their visual impact.

1 Like

Lovely cherries, well composed. dof is perfect. I like Bill’s modifications.

1 Like

While flowers dominate the category its always nice to see something a little different once in a while. You’ve maintained the correct red tones in the cherries and have a great composition as well. While I like the removal of the two top cherries, I do prefer a more vertical crop than what Bill suggests. As always a personal preference only.

1 Like