Itsy Bitsy Spider- ID?

A sunflower from my garden. D850, 300 mm f4 at 7.1, 1/250 sec, handheld, ISO 640. Pretty straightforward shot with a

teensy amount of Topaz applied and mostly masked off the flower. ID question - does anyone know the identity of the spider?

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi Kathy, I do not know about the spider but the flower is absolutely gorgeous!

1 Like

Sunflower is gorgeous Kathy. Crystal clear, love the details. As for the spider; truth be told, I can barley see it, even zoomed in :frowning_face:

1 Like

Kathy, the Sunflower is gorgeous, for sure. As for the spider, I can’t see it real well, but just looking at the shape of him, I think he is some sort of “crab spider” I think they are called. I have seem similar ones in our garden, and they wait for an unsuspecting prey (bee, or some tiny insect) to come along for his next meal. Maybe if I haven’t ID it right, someone can correct me.

1 Like

Shirley has been doing her homework and yes a crab spider adds some arthropod excitement to a nice looking sunflower picture. Lighting and BG work well for this sunflower. The image looks good on my phone and like the fact that the spider was not photoshopped out. Well done…Jim

1 Like

White- banded Crab Spider (female ) is correct ID from pathdoc60@yahoo.com

1 Like

@linda_mellor @Shirley_Freeman @Jim_Zablotny @michael52 @svetlana

Thanks all! And thanks for the ID. Took a look at it on my screen and it does look like a little crab and I appreciate the specific ID.

1 Like

Kathy: Beautiful portrait of this pristine subject. The spider is a nice party crasher. Well done. >=))>

1 Like

Beautiful presentation of the flower against the natural background. Well done.

1 Like

Beautiful flower well presented. textures in petals brought out well. Nice background also.

1 Like

Kathy: I am of no use on Archnid knowledge but do like what you’ve done with the sunflower. Richard

1 Like