Just Outside my Door

Quail are hard to photograph because they are always running around in huge groups and are pretty skittish. But there were 2 quail kind of sleepy, enjoying the sun outside my front door so I was able to creep out and get a few shots before they noticed me.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

ISO 800, 300mm, f9, 1/400. Cropped to get rid of some background and the other quail that I couldn’t focus on. And to get a closer view of this quail who had his eye on me!

2 Likes

Yes they are… :cowboy_hat_face:
As they’re so very active and on the move all the time this image gives a bit of peaceful calmness knowing how skittish they really are. In away the image provides a thought of even they get chance to rest and sunbath for awhile… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Fantastic capture, Vanessa! Love the pose, the soft background and that look on her face is so inquisitive. We used to have a covey of them in our rose garden. So much fun to watch the little one in the spring. You are so lucky to have them right outside your door. Very nicely done.

1 Like

Awesome catch, Vanessa. The light on the eye is wonderful.

1 Like

Very nice image! :slight_smile:

My brothers used to hunt these when we lived in Minnesota but I turned out to be a non-hunter, I couldn’t bring myself to do that.
I did like to watch the quail when they flew by and I was always intrigued by their head plumage.
I may be wrong but this one looks like a female California Quail (I think). Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I like the composition and the exposure, focus is really good, too.

2 Likes

Great portrait of the quail. Fine detail in the head. Nice to find one cooperative enough to get its picture taken.

1 Like

Vanessa, this is a wonderful capture of your visitor. I have never seen quail anywhere near our house. Great details in the eye and face. So glad he posed for you.

1 Like

Thanks so much for looking and the feedback! @Paul_Breitkreuz @linda_mellor @David_Bostock @Allen_Brooks @Merv @Shirley_Freeman
Yes, I think you are right, Merv, about it being a California Quail. I’m in the South Eastern part of Oregon so it’s probably all the same to them! I’m surprised they stay here through the winter with below zero temps! I could never hunt anything either.
Yes, Paul! I always love it when I can get a relaxed pose from an animal, especially ones that are so busy all the time. I think it shows a neat side of their personalities.
Can’t wait to see when they are really little, I guess in the Spring, Linda!
I’m glad everyone likes it. I really wasn’t too sure about it, with my crop and background. Thank you, as always!

2 Likes

Extremely cute extreme close up! Terrific angle and those head feathers! Such a privilege to have them so close and so relaxed.

1 Like

Thanks @Kris_Smith , yeah I love their feathers. It makes me think of the fancy ladies from I think the 1920’s style or maybe older than that!

1 Like

Wonderful light and detail. The only change I would consider would be to see if you could bring out a little more detail on the black plumage of the neck.

Amazing photo and well framed, Vanessa. You captured the birds personality in this one. That is one to frame and hang on the wall.