Kayaker in the mist

Kayaker in the mist

Recently did a 7-day kayak photo workshop in Louisiana and Texas. This was the first morning and as I shot this group of cypress trees in the morning sun, I willed a kayaker to come into the frame somewhere. And thee she was! Just one of many excellent images produced on this trip.

Technical Details

Composite: No
Panasonic DC-G9
LUMIX G VARIO 35-100mm F2.8
42.0 mm (84.0 mm in 35mm)
f/20 | 1/30 | ISO 200
Handheld
In a kayak
up at 4am for sunrise with no coffee

2 Likes

What! No coffee at that hour!:flushed:. Well, it didn’t hinder your vision and artistry. I find this so stunning. Full of mystery with those hanging tree vines/moss, and full of hope with that beautiful light. Congrats.
Is it hard to kayak and take images at the same time?

Thanks Mark. I was shooting this-

and I turned around and spotted the sun and the mist and well, things fell into place.

If it’s windy, yes, shooting in a kayak is a little difficult, but it can be done. I’ve been taking my camera with me since 2013/14, whenever I got comfortable enough with the boat to feel I could manage it.

1 Like

Wow. Spectacular image.

This tells a great story. And the light is beautiful. That looks like a really fun trip.

1 Like

Thanks Holly, it was a great trip overall. Cypress lakes are special places.

Stunning image, Kristen, you nailed the comp and with that first light, very nice. I also shoot out of kayak often, it can be done, but sometimes you have to crank up the ISO.