Keeping Warm

Description: More sandhill cranes are overwintering up North and are adapting to winter conditions by restricting activity and puffing up their feathers which increases the level of insulation of their plumage. The soil on the bird’s bill suggests that most of the time is spent probing in soil looking for worms, slugs, snails, and acorns.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 200-400mm f4 (1/320 sec at f8.0, ISO 3200, lens set at 200mm) Levels, Topaz DeNoise AI, slight crop for comp. I dodged up the eye as it was very dark in the original exposure.

Is this a composite?

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

Hi Jim
The first thing that came to was "“Betty Davis - I am ready for my close up”. I quest that dates me.
The photograph has really nice detail, color and eye contact. Nice work.
Peter

1 Like

Jim, what a great portrait of this Sandhill Crane. The details and color are really spectacular. I love the way it has the eye partly closed, like he is so relaxed and could care less that you are there photographing him. Nice in every respect.

1 Like

Gorgeous photo Jim. The kind of “wish I could get this type of image.” The detail in the Crane’s feathers along with the sleepy look on it face are just spot on. The OOF background color totally enhances the coloring in the bird. Very nicely seen and executed.

1 Like

Superb feather detail and an interesting plumage. Even at Bosque when it’s been well below freezing, I don’t recall seeing them this consistently puffed up. I wonder if it’s related to the high temperature of the days rather than the low. In any case, it’s a gorgeous portrait.

Unique, and very cool! All said above – no nits!

1 Like