Kerlingarfjoll Steam

Hi Folks,
I’m sharing an hdr composite (processed to avoid the hdr look) from the Kerlingarfjoll area of Iceland. Feedback appreciated as always.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does the composition work, or is the path at odds with the river, etc.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
two images blended in LR for dynamic range.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Marylynne,

I think this is a terrific nature story. Yes, the composition works, the colors are rich and the processing looks great to my eye. I say nature story because the geology is front and center; clearly not ground fog… but steam venting - a sign of all the turmoil brewing beneath the surface.

And with all that, I don’t think the path and/or the path with the stream are in any great conflict. They both pale in the grand scheme of the nature story being told here.

Not nits or suggestions. Sure must be an experience to stand and witness nature on this scale.

Lon

This is a very primordial looking landscape with all that venting steam, and your image does a great job of capturing that mood. I think your HDR processing looks very natural, whatever method you used has worked very well. The image has retained contrast, you have crisp dark shadows, and the colors are not over-saturated (to my taste), so you avoided the usual HDR pitfalls that create a crunchy look.

I like your composition, the relative ratio of land to sky looks perfect, it showcases the land, but includes enough of the sky to convey the feeling of a stormy day. Very nicely done ML.

Very nice! Primordial it was said and primordial it looks… I like the contrast of the warm reddish tones of the landscape and the grey cloudy sky… And a lot of geological story to be told. Excellent!

Thanks everyone. This was my favorite part of Iceland…by far.
ML