Kingfisher on lamp post

How could I have avoided the over exposed highlights and keep details in the Shawdows?

What technical feedback would you like if any?

How much does the perch distract or add to the image?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Canon RP, Canon 800mm F-11 IS STM. 1/800 @ F-11 ISO 800 Hand held

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Sometimes you simply can’t do both,John. Momma nature can still create more dynamic range than we can capture in a single shot. I tend to expose for the highlights and let the shadows fall where they may, but others probably do it differently. Personally, I like the perch. It’s just quirky enough to work. I also like the pose and aside from the highlights, the detail looks very good. I do think I’d rotate the image to make the lamp post vertical.

1 Like

Hi John,
Like Dennis, I expose so the whites are not blown and then try lifting shadows in post hoping the noise is not too great. I try to keep ISO low for this reason as I shoot with crop sensor bodies. The bird overall looks rather soft to me. Still this is a good catch of a bird that is very tough to shoot.