Lake Crescent Sunrise

This is Lake Crescent in the Olympic National Park from a couple of weeks ago. I was leading a workshop in the Park and on this day we were headed to the Sol Duc area to photograph the streams and waterfalls. At the last minute, I decided on a quick detour to the lake to see if we could catch the sunrise. The weather was conducive to producing fog, which it did a little bit.

I have shot this lake so many times and there is really only one spot on the west end, but with ever changing weather, I continue to get a lot of variety and some pleasing shots

Technical Details

Composite: No
This is shot in a single frame, processed in Photoshop using luminosity masks and other adjustments.

Fujifilm X-T3
Fujifilm XF 16-55
Breakthrough Photography 3-Stop GND

1 Like

Great image, John. I have shot this lake from the same location too. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks David! It’s a great spot when the weather is putting on a show.

1 Like

We used to live in the PNW and an image like this is a breath of fresh air compared to Phoenix! It’s been way too long since I’ve been on NPN and decided to hop on, and seeing this image was the highlight. Great capture, the dark/light contrasts just make it worth the price of admission. One thing to mention, is the horizon tilted slightly down on the left? Could just be my reading glasses messing me up! Beautiful image, makes me and my wife want to be at that very spot. Thanks for posting!

Thank you so much Paul. I’m glad you found this image and found some peace and serenity. The PNW is sure a special place and I try very hard not to take it for granted, on the off chance I have to move somewhere else. Have a great day!

What a beauty John!!!