Landing Gear Down

Image Description

In most of my shots of hummingbirds in flight, the feet are tucked up close to the body. I liked this one for the widely splayed toes, and the sense of anticipation they create.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Is the completely plain background a disadvantage?

Technical Details

D500. Sigma 300mm. 1/1500 @ f/8. 560 ISO

1 Like

I also like the position of the feet. They are cute little things.

You asked about the background. I don’t think the background helps the image, but it doesn’t break it either. Of bigger concern is the head/eye is not sharp. The top of the tail is sharp, 1/500 is just not enough shutter for hummingbirds. Don’t know what 300mm you were using but I’d never shoot at f/8 for hummers. You just don’t need the DOF and I’d at least double the ISO.

Hi Micheal
With todays software a 1/3000 and 1120 ISO should not be a problem. My only comment would be to open up the frame some. I can live with the head being a little soft. The Hummingbird has great color and the feet are cool.
Peter