Landscape with hare + extra image

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I don’t like to rise early, but that day the alarm clock went off at 5 AM. The day was very promising, the night had been cool and mist was floating over the fields. Around 7 the sun had burned away most of the fine fog and I spotted a hare in the grasses. Far away, and no chance to come closer, for it sped away immediately when I tried to close in. I managed to take a few shots before it disappeared. The animal picked up a little bit of sunshine between the soft colored grasses.

Specific Feedback

What about the contrast in the scene? Do you want the hare to stand out more? For me, the image is a landscape with an extra, more than a "wildlife’ image ( with a very small main subject).
Do you want to see a different processing of the surroundings?

Technical Details

Pentax K3 Mk. III, Pentax 55-300 @300mm, ISO800, 1/640s, f/6.3.
I tried to keep the pastel colors as much as possible, but increased the contrast in the hare a bit to let it stand out more. Approx. 60% crop.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

I suppose other processing approaches are possible, but the muted pastel softness seems perfect. Very pleasing photo.

Han, the hare stands out very nicely here, with it’s dark blockiness contrasting well with the soft pastels of the grass. You’ve got a fine, early morning, early spring, surprise encounter view here.

Personally I love the look of this photo and the feelings it evokes. Very calming and serene, and the pastel-like coloring works well. Great photo!

Thanks @Mark_Seaver, @Ronald_Murphy and @richard27 for your comments!

It immediately recalled the song “Bright Eyes” to me. The hare stands out very well indeed. The colors are marvelous. At first I thought that, as it’s facing to the right, there should be more space there and less on the left. But with a line through the grass from the LRC which the hare is sitting on, and as an interesting example of “rule-breaking”, I now find it very creative. The trees in the far BG add even more. I just love this!

I really enjoy these landscape shots with a distant wildlife content I think they add greatly to the overall interest in a picture such that they happily sit in two camps, namely both the wildlife and landscape forums.

This is a lovely image. Processing looks spot on, to me. If I had to nitpick, I’d rather see the hare in the same position but in the left 1/3 of the frame, so it’s looking more through the frame than out of it, or turned the other way where is, and looking to the left. Aside from that, I find this to be quite peaceful and calming.

Thanks @Mike_Friel , @Ian_Cameron and @Bret_Edge for your comments!
@Bret_Edge Your remark is similar to @Mike_Friel 's, you both mention the direction of the look of the hare. I see what you mean, and with the crop I could have played a bit with this, but I wanted the faint track to come from the LRC.
As an alternative I also mirrored the image. The hare is still looking our of the frame, of course, but the track leads the eye from left to right instead of right to left. But that made too little difference to me, so I kept the original orientation.
Another option is the next image. The hare is looking over the shoulder, into the frame. But I less like the pose.

For me, the original is excellent for the reasons stated, and I don’t think it needs changing.

1 Like

For me, looking into the frame alludes to motion, and out of it to a lack of motion. I think the original looks fine, and makes me think of the hare resting in the beautiful meadow. Nicely done.

Thanks @Mike_Friel and @John_Williams . Always very interesting to read what other members of the community see (and feel) in an image. Much appreciated.

I love the soft pastels of the grasses with the hare looking like its about to bolt. The touch of sunlight on its fur is perfect to emphasize the early morning timing.

Thank you @Denise_Dethlefsen for your kind comment!

Wow, I’ve got to say, that hare’s eye really is like a magnet for my eyes. The second I opened this image; my eyes went straight there. Nicely done. Note, I would maybe consider cropping a bit off from the right side, as right now the hare feels too centered.

Thanks @Tom_Nevesely for your comment.
I understand your suggestion for a crop. I hesitated about it when I decided for the current frame, because the hare would be looking out of the frame even more, for my feeling. But that is a matter of taste, of course, as usual :slightly_smiling_face:

You’re right, that 's definitely a valid concern. :slight_smile: