Last Light Loch Eilt

Loch Eilt, Glenfinnan, Scotland

The whole of Loch Eilt which is situated close to Glenfinnan on the road that meanders it’s way to Mallaig is dotted with some very impressive pine islands. The one at the very end of the loch is particularly impressive and on a still summer evening was as suspected infested with ravenous midges eager to suck the blood from my veins. With a sort of run and shoot style forced upon me I captured just two shots of this near idyllic evening sunlit scene before running back to the car spitting out midges.

2 Likes

Really great image. Reminds me of a little bonsai forest in a small pot. I gave it a bit of a crop to lessen the ferns and the sky and the shrub on the left. I would also consider doing more work on the wire fence.

This type of scene is not what comes to mind when I think of Scotland, if the mountain wasn’t there I could almost mistake this for a more tropical environment. The stand of trees makes for a great subject, And the processing is spot on, the greens look great.

In terms of composition, I like what @photomat did by cropping away a slice from the sky, but i don’t like his crop from the left, I prefer leaving in the left side as originally presented. My suggestion would be to crop a slice from the sky (perhaps slightly less of a crop than Matts), and leave rest of the comp as originally shown.

Wow, I was also surprised to see this was Scotland, but it is gorgeous! I’m in love with the light on the tree trunks and I like your original crop just fine, but I would also be fine with just a TINY crop off the bottom, maybe half of what Matt cropped. I prefer the sky and the left as originally presented.

Lovely photo, Ian! I am pretty much in agreement with Ed and Bill in regard to cropping - to me it’s pretty much fine as it is but could accept a VERY small amount off sky and foreground bracken, but not even sure about that.m as I like the darker line near the base where there is a gap in the bracken. Excellent composition and luminescent colours on the hills with a small amount of natural shading to bring out their shapes, plus no obvious photoshopped/exaggerated skies. I had hoped to get over the border this season but have unfortunately not been able to, so will look forward to a visit in 2021. Best wishes from London