1/320 sec, f/8
Mode: Av
Metering: Center-weighted average
Exp comp: +1/3
ISO: 1600
AF mode: AF-C
White balance: NATURAL AUTO
Flash: Off

I just LOVE these guys, and their laugh is wonderful!
They seem to be everywhere, so lots of photo opportunities.
I like how the dappled canopy came through here - it was often VERY difficult to get a nice BG, because of all the branches and leaves, plus very bright and inconsistent light.

Please do not critique this image. Galleries are for sharing and discussion only.

Nice. Well composed, good detail and color and a nice perch. Reminds me our Kingfishers; wonder if they’re related or parallel evolution. Do they go after fish?

Allan - Yes, they are a subspecies of kingfisher.
The laughing kookaburra (Dacelo novaeguineae) is a bird in the kingfisher subfamily Halcyoninae. They are the largest kingfisher - 15-18 inches tall and very solid-looking. The plumage of the male and female birds is similar.
In Australia, there are two common kookaburras, and several much smaller kingfishes. I think I have images of all to post.
Sandy

What a beautiful bird, Sandy, and so well captured!

Nice color and dappled background.

Lovely image, Sandy. Excellent background and it seems to have a humorous twinkle in its eye.

I love the colors and the detail in this bird. And the perch is perfect right down to the knot hole. Wonderful shot, Sandy.

Sandy
Love seeing all these new species. Great image and the bokeh is fantastic.

Love the bird, and the surrounding background colours. The largest kingfisher, or so I’m told, great to see and frame it I guess :wink: … Best, Hans

Very nice work Sandy! Especially nice job avoiding all the bright spots in the BG you mentioned. Love the species I see from Australia. Hope to get there someday.